Sheltering is not ISOLATION!!! I learned this concept from Steven and Teri Maxwell. You can view their ministry here.
I went to public school, myself. I had a good experience, but I wanted something different for my children. Schools are having a hard time with what can and can't be taught...they are teaching the theory (often not as a theory, but as fact) of evolution, and won't teach Creation, even as a theory. As hard as some teachers work, often they are overworked. I substitute taught Middle School when I was pregnant with my first child. It was the same school I had went to my entire life. Much had changed. Kids weren't even required to bring a pencil to class because they might not be able to afford it. I have no problem with the office staff offering free pencils, but the child should still have to be responsible and bring their free pencil to class (they are in middle school)! I found, despite my earnest efforts, that teaching all of the children in the class (especially in classes such as math and science), it was impossible to reach EVERY child, EVERY class period. Some were bored, some were really far behind, and some just didn't care to learn. I thought about the little girl in my belly. I didn't want her to be left behind if she couldn't figure something out, and I didn't want her sitting there getting into trouble and/or causing disruptions for those trying to catch up because she was bored. I knew that no one would care about my children's education as I would!!
With that said, I still had concerns when first thinking about homeschooling. I remember a few homeschooled kids growing up, and while I would say all of them were extremely smart, many of them lacked socialization skills.
But we had felt called to homeschool, and my husband told me, "I'd rather my kids be taught right, not getting into trouble, and have little socialization skills." Socialization was not our primary goal with school...education was.
But as we searched deeper into the matter, I realized that homeschool is what you make it! First of all, there are tons of homeschooling groups now, and your child can be as socialized or unsocial as you want! It's up to the parents!
I knew I cared about socialization though (more than I needed to). I didn't want a child who was so awkward, they couldn't get along with the rest of the world. Then I read some books by Steven and Teri Maxwell (Titus 2). It completely changed my view on homeschooling all together. Furthermore, their books were Scriptural and made practical sense. I was fearing something that didn't have to be. I just needed to take it to the LORD. If you're thinking about homeschooling, I highly recommend reading their books. Start with Keeping Our Children's Hearts: Our Vital Priority, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit (Don't forget the workbook), Managers of Their Schools, and (if you have boys), Preparing Sons to Provide for a Single Income Family. That is the order I wish I would have read them in. The first being the most beneficial book for me.
Their books talk about sheltering your children. Actually, that's why we personally wanted to homeschool in the first place. But just because I choose to shelter my children from some things of this world, it does NOT mean they have to be isolated (and therefore, unsocial). In fact, if my children have my genes, I don't think they'll have much trouble socializing!!! It'd be more about teaching them when not to speak!
I'm not going to get into homeschool on a real deep level. (I am pretty confident the Maxwell books are what Michelle Duggar has used to help her as well since I have heard her quote some of the books and she uses their scheduling system for homeschool). So if you want to know where I stand on it, I highly recommend getting the books!
I just have to say that I believe homeschooling is the best way to have your children's hearts. Think about it. When your child is at school all day and they make a mistake or learn something that is false, who is going to correct them? Sometimes no one will (unfortunately this is often the case). Sometimes a well-meaning teacher will, but will have different beliefs or values than you do for your children. Many times, the other children will.
I believe that there is no better place for our children than at home. No one cares for your child as much as you do! Furthermore, no one can teach your child the things you want them to learn like you can.
I always thought I'd go crazy not being able to work and staying at home with kids....and believe me, I have my days, but when I see my 2 year old saying the books of the Bible, or when I get to relish in the fact that I watch my infant do all of her "firsts" right in front of me, I know I made the right decision.
Some of you may want to stay at home and homeschool your children, but can't afford it. I encourage you to reconsider. Look at some of the ways my husband and I were able to do so here.
Remember, you can homeschool your children. However, by sending your kids to so many extracurricular activities such as t-ball, youth group (yes I said secular since most of the children attending are not practicing Christians it seems), and dance classes, you could be doing counterproductive work to your reasoning for homeschooling. For you homeschool moms who seem to be doing much of these, I encourage you to click here.
In Managers of Their Schools, the Maxwells actually talk about the benefit of textbook homeschooling over other methods (you can still use your computer for your studies if you choose, but just in textbook form). I would have NEVER considered textbook teaching before, and now I am actually looking at ALL my options!
In Managers of Their Homes, Teri shows you how to make a proper homeschooling schedule, and it has been life-changing for me!
As you can see, I really love and appreciate the Maxwell's ministry. You may not choose to be as strict as they, or you may choose to be stricter, but I think you will appreciate their view on parenting, homeschooling, children, and spiritual things. It's a take that often the Christian world does not offer. Wasn't Jesus a lot like that? None of the religious leaders of His time appreciated His message. I think the Maxwells are doing what is best for their family and can shed some light to help us have a starting point for praying for what God would have for our family.
It's okay if our families are different. God has a different calling for each of our lives. It's not okay, though, if we are doing what we "want" to do versus what God wants us to do. I encourage you to get on your knees and pray about God's will for your family's direction.
I wish I had more to write, but my children are not even homeschool age yet, so I'd love for all of you veteran moms to share your wisdom in the comments below! Share your tips, your mistakes...anything you wish you knew as a first time homeschool mom!!!!
10/22/2013 06:02:00 PM
Lindy

Posted in 






0 comments:
Post a Comment
Conservative Christian Mom is a blog about encouraging Christian Moms to fulfill their calling. Here we can all share tips, advice, discuss hot topics that no one else will, and encourage one another in the Lord. Why not come join us?