| DIY Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent |
It seems like everyone is making laundry soap on Pinterest these days. I even tried to make some of the Duggar liquid laundry soap. While it seemed to clean, it was very difficult to make, hard to get the right consistency, and it was time consuming. Plus, I had to have 2 five gallon buckets (which became heavy). As much as I love saving money, it just wasn't for me!
Later, I made my own powdered dishwashing detergent. If you use the proper rinse aid, it works like a charm! I spent about $12 for over a years worth of detergent! I loved it!
So that got me thinking. Why not use a powdered laundry detergent? There are many of these recipes on Pinterest, but this is one I came up with on my own and it works really great! I use it in my Front Load HE Washer. I was using the All Laundry Packs, but they actually left lots of suds behind. This recipe is super simple, takes very little time, and it cleans and smells great! I'll also throw in some optional ingredients so you can make it to your liking! What's great about the powder is that you can easily half this recipe if you don't want to make so much at a time (which is more difficult to do with the liquid). This recipe will fill a 2.5 gallon tub.
What you'll need:
One 2.5 to 3 gallon tub to store your detergent (I just used a Rubbermaid tub from Wal-Mart)-$3.00
One Smaller tub to keep by your washer so you don't have to keep your detergent in such a large tub (optional)-$1.00
One 4lb 12 oz box of Borax- $5.00
One 4lb box of Baking Soda -$2.50
One 3lb 7oz box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda -$3.50
One 2lb container Clorox Oxi Magic Stain Remover (optional)- $4.50
2 bars of Fels Naptha Soap (grated)-$2.50
One 55 oz bottle of Purex Crystals (optional)-$9.00
Total Cost $16.50 to $31.00 (depending upon what all ingredients you choose to use) for about a 6 month supply of laundry detergent (depending upon your family size). I don't know about you, but I spend that much on my All detergent in about two to three purchases!
Mix all ingredients together in layers. For example, you might want to mix one quarter of each ingredient in, then another quarter, then another, and then another. This allows the detergent to mix together well (so you'll have all of the ingredients in every scoop). I like to mix this with a spoon, but also with my hands as well! Get it good and mixed!
Add about 2-3 tablespoons (yes tablespoons...this stuff will last for about a year, depending upon your load average) directly to the wash.
*TIP* As far as grating the soap....I despise using a cheese grater. My knuckles always hit the sides and bleed and it takes so much longer. It's too much work. I like to take a large knife and chop the bar soap up into cubes and then put it in my blender and pulse it about 30 times.
After mixing my ingredients, I put some of it in a smaller container (you could actually use your Clorox Oxi Tub for this) so I don't have to keep that big tub of detergent near my washer (I don't have the room for it). It's up to you how you store it! Just keep it in a closed container.
I also like to add some vinegar to my bleach compartment. You can also add about 5-6 drops of scented oil to your wash. These are optional, but vinegar will be great for keeping your washer clean as well as your clothes and the scented oil is a must in our family. My husband works in a chicken plant and it's hard to get that smell out!!
That's it! Your detergent should last you at least 6 months! You might have to purchase a lot in the beginning, but you'll save so much in the long run. If it's hard to purchase it all at once, consider buying one or two ingredients at a time each grocery trip until you have all the ingredients. After you make your first batch, go ahead and start saving up to buy each ingredient again for backup for when you run out (that way you don't have to purchase it all at once).
3/02/2014 06:00:00 AM
Lindy
Posted in 






Do you add the detergent into the dispenser or right into the drum for an HE washer?
ReplyDeleteGreat question! I always add my detergent right into the drum of the washer before I start the wash. I also add my essential oil in the drum with it as well. I add the vinegar to the bleach department at the beginning of the wash. Hope this helps!
DeleteSo glad to link up with other bloggers through Mama's Moments Monday. I have been meaning to make homemade detergent for months. I am going to finally get my act together and whip some up. Thanks for the recipe :-)
ReplyDeleteHeather
My pleasure! And I agree! I love the linkups! Let me know how you like the detergent! I've recently been doing the basic detergent and just putting in the oil in extra smelly clothes. It works just as well for what I need, so I'm loving it :)
Delete