Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I know I haven't written a post in awhile.  Things are busy and we are working on simplifying our home.  This is taking a lot of time.  I love getting to write on my blog, but you won't see me on here writing every day to try and earn a paycheck.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but for my family, at this point in our lives, that just wouldn't be responsible of me.  With little ones, lots of attention is needed, and, therefore, lots of my attention is given to them.  Thus, the blog gets somewhat neglected.  I'd much rather it be this blog than my children.

So where is all of this simplifying coming from?  For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to live the simple life.  When I was younger, I assumed that meant I would be living in some village in Africa, sleeping on dirt floors.  I really believe I could do that.  But I was not prepared to live a simple life with wealth and technology all around me.



I realize that my children have mountains of toys (even though I've tried to keep it minimal), I have tons of clothes (despite only wearing the same things over and over again), and we just have more than we need.  The clutter...oh the clutter....Why do I keep cleaning up something that we really don't use?  The baby comes around and pulls it out of a drawer, so it must be picked up again.  And so I'm in a cycle of cleaning up things that have no value to our home.

All of this clutter is causing me a headache.  I can't get everything I need to get done in a day for the clutter.  So why do I have it?

1)  I'm a tightwad.  I was raised that way.  So the thought of throwing something away I worked hard for (or now, in the case of something my husband worked hard for) is so foreign to me.  As I have been pulling things out for a yardsale and donation, I can still remember the exact price I paid for many things YEARS ago!

    1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 
When we think about the love of money, we think about wanting lots of it.  But sometimes there can be a love of little money.  I was obsessing over giving something away that I paid a dollar for!  It's almost a reverse.  I don't really have a desire for having an abundance of money, but my frugality has made money a constant on my mind.  While I do believe in being smart and responsible with money, I also believe we can't let it control us.  It does bring forth many sorrows!

2)  Fear.  I am so scared of throwing something away that I will one day use.  What if I get rid of that vase that I have literally had since our wedding day...that collects dust and has not been used once in 7 years?!...you know, the one I have to move to dust around and find a place for when I need extra room on the table...that vase...the one that doesn't even have a bottom so I can't put things in it...what if I get rid of it and NEED IT?!  Well, first of all, a vase is not a need.  Secondly, I haven't used it in 7 years, so the chances are slim to none that I ever will.  Thirdly, I could just muster up the money to save and buy one.

3)  I don't want to get rid of things people give me.  Often, people are so thoughtful and have blessed our family over the years.  Sometimes it's with gifts we don't really like.  Despite maybe even hating the "thing," I keep it because I really like remembering the thoughtfulness.  Sometimes, it's a gift I LOVE...but then our convictions change (such as videos or modesty in clothes) and we no longer use it.  It could have even been an item I really talked about for awhile, and someone wanted to bless me with it!  If I get rid of that item, since it was given with such thoughtfulness, will that person think I don't appreciate their time to get that for me?  Will they think, "Why bother getting her anything if she's just going to get rid of it?!"


These are the things that have ran through my head over the last several years.  Since we are currently living in a larger home, it's easy to not realize how much stuff we have.  But Mark and I want a place of our own soon, and we know that place will likely be very small....and we are honestly okay with that.  We actually prefer it.  A family is closer knit and there is less to clean.  You just have to be pickier about what stays in your home and what goes.

Well, lately, the conviction to simplify our home has been overwhelming.  Maybe God is teaching me to aspire to be like the Apostle Paul in being content regardless of my current state.  Maybe God is preparing us for a move to a small home...I don't know, but I know the conviction is so strong, that I can't shake it.

As I have been pulling tons of things out of my home, I realize, I don't notice anything being gone.  The only time I notice it is when I open a drawer and it's not overflowing.  Then, I try to remember what was in the drawer....often I can't do it.  When I can remember, I realize how thankful that I am that it's gone and how nice it is not to have to dig through a drawer to find what I'm looking for.

So, I am on this journey of simplifying everything!  Is there anyone else already on this journey, or maybe you've thought about it, but just don't think you can?  I'd love to hear from you.

I plan to make this a series.  I would like to do a series of testimonials from moms who have done this and where they are today looking back on it (you can send me your testimonial to lindysblogspot@gmail.com.  Your submission will remain 100% anonymous).  I would also like to do a post on specifically how to simplify.  It's not as easy as just throwing stuff away.  What if you have other family members involved who are not on board?  What if your husband is against the idea?  What if you just don't know where to begin?  Simplifying is not just getting rid of things, it's a complete change of mindset and heart.  Is that something you're really ready for?

I hope that as I'm going through this journey now, I can give encouragement to others about reminding us that we don't need all of this "stuff" in this world.  Sure that new gadget is neat, but doesn't it just make us lazy?  Doesn't it just make us ungrateful when we go somewhere else and don't have it?


May our hearts be focused on our character and getting rid of anything that stands in the way of a perfect relationship with Jesus Christ!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Conservative Christian Mom is a blog about encouraging Christian Moms to fulfill their calling. Here we can all share tips, advice, discuss hot topics that no one else will, and encourage one another in the Lord. Why not come join us?