Tuesday, June 24, 2014






After writing an article a couple of weeks ago, Should I Public, Private, or Homeschool my Children, and What does the Bible Have to Say About it?, I had a HUGE reaction to the post.  I had a lot of moms feeling the conviction and the desire to homeschool, but they found themselves in situations where their husband may object.

I want to write this post for these women.  For those who have already determined that home educating their children is Biblical and holds a deep desire in their heart.

First of all, let me say this:  We are to honor our husbands.  He is to be the spiritual leader of the household.  He is to make these decisions, not us.  This does not matter if he is saved, actively attending church, etc.  Unless he is asking you to do something that is morally wrong, you need to honor his decisions.  He is responsible for determining your children's education and training your children at home.  He is responsible for whether you are a keeper at home or not.

If your husband is not making wise decisions for the family (financially, spiritually, etc), he will answer for those decisions.  YOU will answer for how you honor the Word of God.  First thing is first.  We have to understand what man's God-given roles are and what roles God has given to the women.  Do not skip over these Scriptures.  Read them, and let them soak in.

1 Corinthians 11:3

King James Version (KJV)
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Ephesians 5:23

King James Version (KJV)
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Ephesians 5:28-29

King James Version (KJV)
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

1 Peter 3:7

King James Version (KJV)
7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Okay, so we all understand that the husband is the head of the wife?  This does NOT mean that you are not as equally important, but God has given us specific roles in marriage to play.  It's the same concept as this:

1 Corinthians 12:14-22

King James Version (KJV)
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:


Now this verse is speaking about spiritual gifts, but it certainly applies to how God views our roles within the family.  If both parents do the same duties, there are certainly some duties lacking.

Furthermore, a husband is supposed to provide for his household (necessities ladies...not a car, not a cell phone, and not getting your hair done every month).  Otherwise, he is worse than someone who is not even saved:

1 Timothy 5:8

King James Version (KJV)
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.


Don't worry, I'm not going to leave out the famous verses that wives like to use AGAINST their husbands:


Ephesians 5:25-26

King James Version (KJV)
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,


Wives are so quick to say things like, "If my husband were the Spiritual Leader he was called to be, I'd be a better wife to him."  I've been guilty of saying this myself.  Or maybe something like, "How can I follow a man who is not following God?  Wouldn't that mean I'm not following God?!"

Understand, this command is to husbands.  Wives are not to use it against their husbands when they are not being obedient to God's Word.  You cannot do ANYTHING about how your husband responds to God's Word.  All you can do is:

1 Peter 3:1

King James Version (KJV)
3 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;


 Even if our husbands need to be saved, this verse tells us we are to be in subjection to them.  Furthermore, we need to try to win them by our conversation.  There is an excellent online 6-part article about this very subject!  Click here to read "When a Wife Disagrees with her Husband- Part 1."

I'm not going to dwell on this too much, since the link above gives really great references to our duty in submitting to our husbands.    If you're not to the point to where you feel you can submit to your husband, stop reading and read the article now.  You can always come back and finish this post later.


Okay, so you realize the husband's roles, and you realize that you can't control whether he is obedient to God's Word or not and that he must work out his own salvation with fear and trembling.  You can only control you.  You can influence a situation, and that's it.  So let's look at the roles of wives, and then delve directly into what to do to help your husband see biblical principles when he may not be seeking them.

Colossians 3:18

King James Version (KJV)
18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1

King James Version (KJV)
3 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

We are to submit to our husbands, regardless of  whether he is following God's Word or not.  Certainly we are not to commit a sin in order to honor our husbands.  However, how we even handle rejecting our husbands immoral requests should be handled with care.  If we are not careful with our "conversation" with our husband in all matters, it will be difficult to "win him."

If you are in this situation, I highly, highly recommend this book:  Created to Be His Help Meet.  Even if you don't have any major disagreements with your spouse, this book is very encouraging in how we should handle the little, day to day disagreements.  (WARNING:  This book will likely offend you greatly.  It did me at first, but keep reading.  You'll soon realize it's your own sin you have to deal with).  I read this book and after two days of implementing its biblical strategies, my husband commented on such a change in me (my husband NEVER does this).  He was so thankful, he decided to read Created to Need a Help Meet.  I wish we had found these books when we first married.  Your husband may or may not have the same response, but I guarantee you he will be thinking it!  I recommend Created to Be His Help Meet to ALL Christian Wives who are SERIOUS about following God's Word in the biblical roles of the wife!  This is not for the average woman sitting in a church pew.  This is only for women who want to steer the direction of their marriage toward God, without nagging or controlling.

Okay, now that I've given you some resources that dig a little deeper into the matter and that have encouraged me, on with this post.

What do you do, say, when your husband is against homeschooling your children?  Or maybe he wants you to work and you feel that these requests would go against Titus 2:

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Wow!  Certainly we don't want to be in danger of blaspheming the Word of God!!  I can understand why women are discouraged because their husbands are not taking heed to the Word of God!  Certainly, being a keeper at home and homeschooling (Deuteronomy 6, Proverbs 22) are derived from the Word of God.  However, by not homeschooling, or having you work outside the home (although a woman could work at home as long as it doesn't interfere with her duties as a mother and wife.  Just read Proverbs 31) you are not blaspheming the Word of God as Titus 2 puts it.  HE IS.

Understand that God loves your husband more than anything...even when He is not walking with Him.  God knows that the person who has the greatest opportunity for influence over him will be his wife.  That's you.  You will not win him over by nagging, or getting him to comply to keep the peace (shamefully: been there, done that).

In fact, you may not win him over by being the wife God has called you to be, but it's your best shot.  Furthermore, do you really want to spend the rest of your life nagging at your husband?  Your kids are watching their mother (even if it is for a worthy cause) put down her husband and nag at him.  Although it may seem you have a reason to complain, your children are learning to be miserable with you.  They are learning this is just how marriage is supposed to be.  When everything isn't perfect...just complain and nag until you get your way.

God told us to subject to our husbands, even when they are not following Him, for a reason.  He knows best.  We need to stick to the Word of God and stop listening to friends, family, and even preachers who tell us differently...no matter "how good of a Christian they are."  We cannot deny the Word of God.


In this post, we are using the example of wanting to homeschool while your husband disapproves.  The first thing you need to do is to show you support his decision.  Do NOT undermine him.  Don't encourage him or agree with him.  However, let him know you will honor the decisions he makes for the family because you believe he does want to do what is best for your family, and most likely, your husband does.  The real problem is not that he doesn't want what is best for your children.  The real problem is that he doesn't see homeschooling as a better option for your children.

There could be a million reasons why:

*  He could be worried they won't receive the socialization they need.
*  He could be worried that you can't educate the children as well as the educated professionals.
*  He likely could be concerned that you can't live off of one income.
*  Maybe He believes you can't afford the cost of curriculum and such.


You need to make sure you understand WHY he is against homeschooling.  You can show him all of the verses on homeschooling, all day long, but if he has a strong feeling against homeschooling, he will likely not listen.  Then you will feel he is nonspiritual and a darker line will be drawn between the two of you.






Your goal should be to have a genuine understanding of why your husband objects to homeschooling.  Don't judge him.  View his concerns as valid, even if you can't understand them, for they are obviously important to him.  Don't make him feel dumb for his viewpoint.  Just focus on getting an understanding of his objections.

Very, very few men are against homeschooling in and of themselves.  Most of them have only been around a few homeschooled children and are concerned their children will look and act as they.  They think, "I went to public school and turned out alright", so they don't want to take a risk on something that might scar their children versus something that worked out okay.  These concerns are valid and can be addressed, but must be done lovingly and with caution.

Next, you must address the situation with care.  If your husband is not walking daily with God, you can read him Bible verses until he is blue in the face.  All he will gather from your conversation is that you think he is wrong, he is not spiritual enough, and he doesn't know how to lead his family.

You have to find how to address this issue with your husband.  The easiest way to do so, is not with conversation alone, but by example.  This is where it can be difficult, but if you're on your knees seeking God in this matter, I do believe He will supply your desires to honor Him.

Maybe you know a homeschooling family where the dad loves to hunt, just like your husband.  With your husband's permission, maybe you could invite them over to dinner.  Do NOT invite them over to talk about homeschooling.  Do NOT make your husband feel like you're only inviting them over because they are a homeschooling family.  But IF your husband is on board with them coming over, invite them over.  Allow a friendship to grow.  Homeschooling will come up naturally because it is such a big part of their lives.  Your husband will begin to see that not everyone who home educates is socially awkward and that it doesn't mean you have to spend any money on curriculum.

That is one option, but it may be that you don't know another homeschooling family locally, and if you do, they may not be the example you want your husband to see!

So what do you do?  Well, depending upon your husband's objection, maybe you can begin to tutor your children at home.  Let your husband see that you are capable of teaching your children (without bringing up a word about homeschooling).

Maybe if you work and your husband is worried about one salary, you could cut back on some expenses.  Remember, his role is to provide for his household, and even though you may be helping, he doesn't want to feel responsible for his family not having the same as everyone else.  Typically, this concern is out of love, not selfishness.  Follow the link in this paragraph for some tips on how to cut back your expenses.  You have to show your husband that you're serious.  It may take some SERIOUS sacrifice on your part.  In fact, you may be the only one doing the sacrificing, but you ultimately have to determine how important is it for you to follow God's Word and teach your children at home.

Maybe your husband is one that holds a popular belief:  he's concerned your children won't receive enough social skills and could be really weird.  Homeschooling is still a relatively new concept in America.  Some of the early people who homeschooled were somewhat socially awkward.  They didn't have the opportunity to visit other families (for having one vehicle used to be the norm) TO socialize.  Certainly there were no homeschooling groups, extracurricular activities, or even youth groups.

I can't tell you how far you should take the social aspect of your children.  We like to shelter our children from many of the "social" activities.  We don't believe we'll have any trouble getting them socialized, but each family has to work that out amongst themselves.  However, you and your husband must determine the convictions for your family.  Even if you feel like you don't want to send your child to play "softball" for fear it may undo what you do at home, if socialization is that important to your husband, you may have to accept it and move on.  Would it not be better to allow your children to be involved in a few wordly activities that you at least would be welcome to attend rather than to send them away from your care all day long, everyday?

Within the realm of your convictions, maybe you could consider getting your children involved in social activities that have NOTHING to do with school.  That way, your husband can see they can still socialize with others without being connected to public school, whatsoever.

I can't list every single situation.  Every family is different.  I can only encourage you to get on your face before God and ask Him to change your heart.  Ask Him to take your bitterness away.  Don't focus on your husband's failures.  Focus on yours.  Are you your husband's help meet or are you his mom, constantly correcting him?

You should desire to please God and to honor His Word MORE than homeschooling.  After trying everything, if your husband still doesn't agree, let it go.  If he knows where you stand on the issue, but sees you honoring him, your marriage will be far better than you disagreeing with him all day long.

I hope others will share encouraging stories of how God is working in their marriages right now.  Not just in the area of homeschooling, but in the area of honoring their husband and all it entails.

Let us find joy in doing what God has called us to be, and when we become discontent with the decisions others are making, fall to our knees praying for them.


15 comments:

  1. First of, all, thank you for linking up at Faith Hacks! I am so glad that you took the time to share these very important thoughts.

    I am so blessed that I have a husband who delegates... he does not abdicate his responsibility but he honors my role and my prayerful decisions in areas such as schooling.

    We did try public school for a time when we moved to a small rural community at his request. We did that for two years... when Common Core moved in and the schools changed, he recognized the changes as quickly as I did and his only concern about bringing the children home was my energy levels and not wanting to overly burden me. Which is a concern that I cherish because it shows how much he loves and wants to protect me.

    I had read Created to Be His Help Meet... I didn't know about the other! Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabeth! It's great hearing from you! Yes, I think Common Core has really awakened most of us Christians. We realize that while Public School has the opportunity to offer good education, it can all change at a drop of a hat. All the more reason parents need to take back control of our children's education.

      Delete
  2. I am so over the thinking that the man is the know all be all, do as he says blah blah blah. Women grow a back bone and fight what you belive in. Seriously women are not weak and deserve some credit!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, the reasons I gave above were for Christian women, and clearly you are not adhering to Scripture, so I assume you are not a Christian. There are certainly reasons for non-Christian women to follow their husbands, but this post was directed to Christians...using the Word of God as their guide.
      I do not believe women are weak, as I CLEARLY stated above. Women are equal to men, but we are in different roles. I never said you always had to do everything he says, but to HONOR him. Sometimes that is adhering to his wishes (as long as it is not morally unacceptable).
      This blog in no way promotes your ideology of women "growing a backbone" and fighting for what you believe in.
      I'm all for standing up for what is right, but this notion that honoring your husband makes you less or below your husband is just ridiculous. The CEO is not the most important person in a company (though many would think so). It's the everyday people working hard to make the company successful that are the most important to the company. Everyone these days seem to want to be the leader, but with no followers, leaders are useless.
      My husband is the leader in our home and I strive to follow him. He does not view me as below him and he and I work as a team. However, when you have two stubborn people trying to take control of the throne, you'll have confusion, hurt feelings, and often DIVORCE!
      I understand this post is not for everyone, like yourself. That is okay. This post was not written for feminists or special rights advocates. This post was written for women who want to honor the Word of God by being obedient to it and the way God created our marital roles. I don't believe wives will ever be happy until they submit to the authority of the Word of God.
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. I think you picked a poor example with the CEO and "everyday people." If those people were just as important, then they would be respected and paid the same. Saying that the only two options are for a husband to lead and a wife to follow, or, " two stubborn people trying to take control of the throne," is a false dichotomy. It is not only possible, but completely doable to do neither of those things and have a happy marriage. The same way someone can have any kind of productive relationship without there being a throne involved at all. Saying that you don't believe wives will be happy until they do the things that you think they should do, doesn't make it fact. It's really telling that you say, "Everyone these days seem to want to be the leader, but with no followers, leaders are useless," because I think you're spot on. Without people to do what they say, leaders are just people talking and no one's listening.

      Delete
    3. Hi Genevieve! Thanks for taking the time to read my article and comment!
      I guess the third option that I didn't mention would to be to do nothing. I guess that's always an option, but I was speaking in more of the proactive state. You can either lead, follow, or do neither. I disagree with you on the fact that you can have a happy marriage as a Christian doing neither. I believe, as Christian wives, we will not have joy in our hearts until we submit to the Word of God. The Word of God, as shown above, clearly states to submit to our husbands. Until we are obedient to the Word of God by submitting to our husbands, we will never be happy. If we are, I would question one's salvation to not care for following God's Word.
      I disagree with you on the CEO thing. I believe people are paid different amounts because of their skills...not because of their importance or respect. I could list multiple stories where hourly associates were considered a prize for a company. To some people, they are just another employee who is replaceable. However, it doesn't change their value. Their value is not based upon how much respect they receive or how much they are paid. Certainly "everyday people" and CEOs are paid differently, but, depending on the person, can both be a great asset to a company. Both can be equally important.
      I think it's great to have debate on these topics and yes, I offer my opinion and understanding of the Word in many instances. However, I always encourage my readers to seek the Spirit for discernment. I am not perfect in my interpretation of the Scripture, nor do I think anyone is, and I believe we all will answer for how we live our lives. So it's very important we know for ourselves.
      However, there are parts of Scripture where I believe that you just can't misinterpret It (though many try). I think the Bible is very clear about a wife following the leadership of her husband.
      Thanks again for your thoughts! I always love hearing from others!

      Delete
  3. I have huge issues with the author(s) of "Created to be his help meet". How can you advocate for a book written by people who also wrote a book encouraging child abuse (To Train Up A Child)? To me that completely invalidates and thing written in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Thanks for your response. I understand your concern. I had enjoyed No Greater Joy Ministries for awhile and when I heard these accusations, I was shocked. I couldn't imagine this ministry advocating such. So I ordered To Train Up A Child and read it with intent to find where they promote child abuse.
      The is, I couldn't find it. I looked online to find specific quotes to help me find the pages faster (thinking somehow I overlooked it). The problem is, most of the quotes that were supposedly in the book, weren't there at all. Some were grossly misquoted and some were just taken out of context.
      Have you read the book yourself? I am so glad that this would upset you, and I agree...I wouldn't want to read a book by the wife if the husband wrote a book that advocated such. The problem is, he doesn't advocated it at all.
      In fact, through the book, he encourages you to not even raise your voice. If spankings are done for training and done biblically, you will not have much need for spanking at all as they grow older. The problem is, most people don't know how to use the biblical method appropriately.
      He is persistent about not leaving marks or any lingering pain.
      I understand there are many Christians who believe spanking is wrong. I am not one of them. I agree with the Bible. However, I believe that MOST people use spanking wrong. They use it to vent their own frustration, and as Mr. Pearl says, that's the real child abuse.
      So, I encourage you to read the book for yourself if you haven't already. You might be like me and surprised that there is only love in that book, and not the evil child abusers the world is trying to make them out to be.
      If you have read it, I would love for you to share specific examples of what you find to be child abuse. I don't want to argue about it, but I would be willing to have an honest debate on the issue (always using the Bible as our reference).
      By the way, there are also people who say Created to Be His Help Meet promote spousal abuse. Once again, I tried to find it and there is NOTHING in there about it. It's so false and not in there at all.
      Either way, I understand you not wanting to read Created to be His Help Meet. But understand we will likely never find authors whom we agree with 100%. I encourage you to get the book, and before reading it. Ask God to give you discernment on what is Biblical and not. You always have the right to read a book and throw it away. Everyone I ever heard either says this book saved their marriage or they threw it across the room. I'm curious to see which you would be. Thanks for commenting and I hope to hear back from you!

      Delete
  4. What about a husband who doesn't want you to go to church, with or without him? I haven't gone in 2 years because he doesn't let me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many people who believe it would be a sin for you to not attend corporate worship. You have to search the Scriptures and discern for yourself. I don't believe you are required to attend corporate worship, but I believe as a Christian, you should want to. So, my opinion (although I would encourage you to search the Scriptures and couple this with prayer and seek the Spirit's guidance), would be that you should honor your husband since not going to church wouldn't be a sin.
      However, the Bible does instruct us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves. In other words, you need to be with fellow believes on a regular basis (this may not be in the form of "formal" corporate worship). Do you have a weekly Bible Study he would allow you to attend? It doesn't just need to be with other Christians, but a time/place where you can refuel. Maybe you can watch a message at an online church and keep in frequent contact on a regular basis with Christian friends who will encourage you and lift you up?
      He is not your dictator. However, as I said in the above article. You need to seek out, WHY does he not want you to go to church? Is it because he is an atheist and he doesn't want you to believe something different? Is it because he wants to control you? Is it because he has that day off and wants you to stay at home with him?
      You should make it known your desire to attend church. Maybe you could attend church on a different day if he just wants you to spend Sundays with him...you could go to a church while he is at work or something.
      Maybe he doesn't want you influenced by other Christians. You cannot keep from growing as a Christian and following God's Word because he does not want you to.
      I guess I would need you to elaborate more on your situation. You can comment more here or you can e-mail me at lindysblogspot@gmail.com. I will be praying for you.
      Chances are, if you're not in church, you're not growing. However, if you can do other things that allow (Bible Study, Online Services, etc)you to grow in Christ, I encourage you to try to please your husband. Even if you feel you need to start attending again, you need to be cautious in how you do so.
      It all comes down to WHY he doesn't want you to go to church. When you have that answer, you will have a better idea at how to address this issue!

      Delete
    2. I don't feel that submitting to your husband applies if your husband is not a Christian. Submitting to husbands and honoring wives is a two ways street. He is not honoring you!

      Delete
    3. I think we would have to agree to disagree on that Crystal. Scripture very much supports us submitting to our husbands even when they are not saved so that we may win them over.

      I hear many women say that they would honor their head (their husband) if they would treat them the way Christ treats the church, but that would be impossible for any mortal man to do. The Scripture is very clear that we are to do what is right, regardless of what our spouses do. True love (like God's love for us), is when we decide to love our spouse whether they deserve it or not. Marriage is not 50/50. It should be 100/100...but even if the other half only gives 30%, we still committed to honor our husbands 100%.

      If your husband is not honoring you, your goal would be to follow Scripture, honor him, and pray for him....praying for his soul...he will not be one by a wife trying to overtake his role as the spouse. This is hard to do, and is why it is so important we are equally yoked.

      Now, submitting to your husband does not mean following him into sin, but if he wants to buy a stove that is a waste of money, even after you've given your opinion, wouldn't it be better for your relationship to let it go and honor him? Putting your foot down might save you some money, but it will hurt him in the long run. It's far more important to submit to your husband (even if not a Christian) than to be right and justified.

      Delete
  5. Most of the comments got so off topic I nearly forgot the article was about homeschooling! I agree with your article wholeheartedly. We online-schooled two of our children for awhile and at first my husband was opposed to it, but he still agreed to let me do it because he respects my opinion on the topic enough to decide I know what is best. I think your advice about understanding the root of his opposition is extremely important to having a good discussion on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think very few husbands oppose homeschooling in and of itself. I think it's mostly they feel the child might not have as good of an education, or they may not be socialized, or what not. Homeschooling (especially with social outlets like co-op groups) is a relatively new concept in the last few decades. Therefore, they likely don't have many examples in front of them. If we can show them that our children are better off at home, it's likely they'll agree. They're not against homeschooling, they just want what is best for their children and haven't yet been convinced that homeschooling is that option. I'm sure your husband will the fruits of your labor and will realize his fears were not substantiated.

      Delete

Conservative Christian Mom is a blog about encouraging Christian Moms to fulfill their calling. Here we can all share tips, advice, discuss hot topics that no one else will, and encourage one another in the Lord. Why not come join us?